Friday, November 27, 2009

What a month!

And November isn't even over yet!  I knew going into this month that it would be crazy.  Now that it is almost done, I'm thankful to have made it this far still in one piece...but just barely.  :-)  Just in the last week I have baked 2 cakes, 1 pie, and 1 dish of stuffing;  celebrated a kid's birthday...twice;  helped prepare for a thanksgiving meal for 18 people;  and been attacked by a stomach virus not once, but twice.  Also in the last week I passed the two-month mark of living in Germany.  Though I have been up to my nose in the craziness of this week, I am really thankful for the joy it also held.  Moments like making sour cream coffeecake with the older of my two girls, carrying a bit of my family tradition with me here, and passing it along as well.  Or, being able to celebrate the younger girl's birthday with the family, and see her face light up over a box full of duplos. (oh! the memories it brought back!)  Or, sitting down to eat some of my favorite Thanksgiving foods with friends nearby, kids clamoring in the background, and laughter abounding.  Or, being able to share stories with friends of my family's Thanksgiving traditions which made me feel a little closer to my family back home.  And now, here are some of the highlights, in pictures:


After a full day of baking:  my pumpkin pie in the front, the sour cream coffeecake in the back.


The happy birthday girl (with cake for breakfast! but you must know, she didn't even finish her whole piece before asking for "brot und leberwurst".  Leberwurst over cake...I will never understand that.)

 
The whole family getting involved - "new" duplo's aren't just for kids.  :-)


When every possible table and anything that could pass as a seat is used, you know its going to be a good party.  (I stand in the back...in the vicinity of the kid's table, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment