Friday, October 16, 2009

cloudy with a chance of maultaschen

In reference to today's title:
   a.  One of my fav books is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and I really need to see that movie.  As soon as it is released here, I'm totally there.  (Also need to read the book to my kids.)
   b.  I'm pretty sure if that book was written in German, it would be maultaschen instead of meatballs.  Maultaschen is an equally comforting food - a pocket of pasta filled with meat and/or veggies, with a similar mystery to its ingredients.
   c.  It pretty much describes life here:  cloudy days, with a high chance of maultaschen being on the menu, for a good autumn comfort food meal.


Ready for another round of highlights?  These are all from today, so you can tell it has been a good day:

At breakfast this morning, which was very lovely, by the way, I was delighted to find among the various fixings on the table, a small jar of crunchy peanut butter.  The reunion was great.  I have missed you, PB.  There is a small part of my heart that nutella can't satisfy.

Playing outside, when you can see your breath in the air, brings out the kid in me.  So, getting caught by the neighbor literally "horsing around" with the girls, i.e. racing back and forth on the drive way, neighing, slapping imaginary reigns, really didn't phase me too much today.

Making hot cocoa together after playing in the cold - making good memories.

Had fun teaching the girls some English phrases (like, "On your mark, get set...GO!), and began to hear the older one repeat a couple phrases that I say often.  But the "monkey see, monkey do" also translates into the older one playing "mom" and trying to correct her little sister and send her to her room - glad she gets the idea, but not the kind of game I would like them to play.  :-)

With our dinner of milchreis and stewed apples, I brought out the cinnamon (Zimt) to the table.  After asking if they wanted some, the older girl enjoyed adding a bit to her rice.  Each time I refilled her bowl, and she asked for it, she pronounced it differently:  cimmomin, cimminon, cinninin.  I think almost every kid (including me) has mixed that one up.  It was fun that she kept trying to say it too.

Finally, I am in love with the skies here.  Since we are near the top of a small hill, we have some lovely views, especially to the west.  After living in a big city, where a panoramic view of the sky was VERY rare, I am basking in every amazing arrangement of clouds and color.  So I leave you with this, the view from our dining room:

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your updates, Bethany! Keep 'um coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a pretty lovely day. Sounds like you and the girls are really connecting. :)

    ReplyDelete