Thursday, October 22, 2009

Exercising my creative muscle...

Even though I am here in Germany in a job that has little to do with my "occupation", that doesn't mean that my creative side is being neglected.  Quite the contrary, in my first month here, I have planned out and completed a design on a huge blank wall in my room.  Here is the process, in all its stages.

my blank slate (with a fresh, white base coat):
















The concept:  a chestnut tree silhouette (a very common, traditional tree here) that I traced in Illustrator, and then I played with the colors/width/placement of the stripes and tree until I found something I liked:















My stripes measured out and taped off (can I just say...I love the metric system! So easy...no weird half or quarter measurements):




















After sketching out my tree and buying my key turquoise paint, the painting FINALLY begins:




















With a little mixing, I have my two different shades of turquoise.  The tape is ready to be removed:





















The next day, sans tape, and after retouching the tree in white:




















Finally, my cozy coffee corner, in the cool shade of a chestnut tree:


6 comments:

  1. wow! that's pretty fantastic! by the way, i may have some dress-making ideas coming your way soon. i'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's relaxing even in photos - it must be positively serene in person! beautifully designed and executed!! thanks for the pics. (c:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany!
    I love it--you make it look SO easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! gosh, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome - maybe we'll have to put you to work when you come visit (just kidding!).

    ReplyDelete